Donna's Book Pub recently posted the Top 7 Reasons to Join a Critique Group. Just to play Devil's advocate, here are seven reasons not to join a critique group. I've actually gotten a lot out of crit groups and I'm in one now, but there are some pitfalls to watch out for. Take this list only half seriously.
7. People talking about things other than writing.
6. Newbies who say they'll read your stuff and never show up again.
5. That one person who rips apart everything you write despite having published less than you. (there's one in every group)
4. The regular who always wants people to read their entire novel but "doesn't have time" for more than a few pages of your own.
3. Five people having five mutually exclusive opinions about your work.
2. Printing out an entire chapter, waiting three weeks for it to be returned, and finding only one little comment at the end saying, "good job."
. . .and the number one reason for not joining a critique group. . .
1. It takes time away from your writing!!!