Tuesday 8 September 2015

Travel Tuesday: Moorish Architecture in Spain

Hemispherical ceiling from Cárdenas Palace, Toledo, 15th century. This wooden lacework style was common for ceilings of this period. You can just see the heraldic shields of the Cárdenas family on the sides.

As I mentioned last week, I'll be spending October writing in Tangier, Morocco, so I'm in a Moorish state of mind. This weekend we went to the archaeological museum here in Madrid and visited the section devoted to Spain's Moorish period. The centuries when African Muslims ruled over much of Spain have had a profound effect on Spanish architecture, music, cooking, and more. Even after the Reconquista finished in 1492 and the Moors were kicked out, their influence remained. Here are a few shots from my visit. I'll have some photos from Morocco itself once I get back in November. Enjoy!

Arch for a doorway, Toledo, 15th century. The Arabic writing includes religious statements plus the more secular "Happiness and prosperity".


Decorative fragment, Toledo, 14th century.

Tile, Jaén, 15th century. Spain still produces fine Islamic style tiles. I'd decorate my house with them if I could afford it!


All photos copyright Sean McLachlan.

2 comments:

D.G. Hudson said...

I enjoy seeing the architecture and building styles of other countries and Spain is one place I'd like to visit one day. Thanks for showing us these details, Sean. Look forward to more, and good luck with the writing.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Some ornate decorations there!

Looking for more from Sean McLachlan? He also hangs out on the Civil War Horror blog, where he focuses on Civil War and Wild West history.

You can also find him on his Twitter feed and Facebook page.