Tuesday 1 September 2015

Travel Tuesday: Researching at the Bodleian Library, Oxford


I just finished my usual summer research trip to Oxford. Most days I'm in the Bodleian Library. This library dates back to the Middle Ages and is a copyright library, meaning it tries to have a copy of every book published in the UK. Needless to say, it's a good source for research!

The above photo shows the Duke Humfrey's Library. It's the oldest reading room in the library and was completed in 1487, although most of the decoration is from the early 17th century. Most of the shelves contain rare books, many in Latin, that I don't need. I do sit here to work sometimes, though, because, well, just look at it!


This is the Divinity School, completed in 1488 and originally used for theology classes. Now it's rarely used except for some formal functions. Pity, they should fill it with books and let me work in there!


On normal days I'm in the Upper Reading room, usually at this very corner. It's got more normal surroundings, which are less distracting. That strip of painting on the top dates from the 16th century, though, and the views out the window of Oxford's "dreaming spires" occasionally draws my eyes away from my books. 

Photos courtesy Wikimedia Commons, because I never got around to bringing my camera to work!

1 comment:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That library boasts a variety of rooms. They should find a use for the empty one though.

Looking for more from Sean McLachlan? He also hangs out on the Civil War Horror blog, where he focuses on Civil War and Wild West history.

You can also find him on his Twitter feed and Facebook page.