Tuesday 12 January 2016

Travel Tuesday: My Travel Year, A Look Back And A Look Forward

Yours truly in Mzoura, a prehistoric stone circle and burial mound in Morocco, which I wrote about here.


So here we are in another year. As usual at the beginning of a new year, I like to look back on the past year's travel an see what's ahead. This post is a little late because I was, well, traveling!

Last year saw me go to Morocco three times. Mostly I was based in Tangier, working on my current novel, The Last Hotel Room, which is set there. I was even fortunate enough to spend a whole month living in Tangier's medina. My family came down too and I got to introduce my son to North Africa. It's important that he grows up familiar with something beyond Western Europe. We also had our usual Easter and summer stays in England, plus a couple of bonus trips up there!

Besides that, I'm afraid, I didn't travel anywhere. My travel has dropped off drastically since the demise of the late, great Gadling travel blog, which sent me to all sorts of fun places like Somaliland, Ethiopia, and Iraq. The bottom has really fallen out of the online travel writing market and the focus of my career has shifted to fiction and history writing.

Will 2016 be better? It's too early to tell. We'll be back in England at least for the summer, and I'm planning at least one trip to Morocco that will probably turn into two or three trips. It's just so cheap and convenient from Madrid! I'm also pitching editors for various stories on Ghent, Belgium. Other than that, who knows?

2 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Time to go in another direction. Just use all of your travel knowledge to add realism to your books.

Sean McLachlan said...

Funny, i was just talking about that in the question section of my Goodrads page!

https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/623273.Sean_McLachlan

Looking for more from Sean McLachlan? He also hangs out on the Civil War Horror blog, where he focuses on Civil War and Wild West history.

You can also find him on his Twitter feed and Facebook page.