Tuesday 16 February 2016

Working on the next Toxic World novel

You might have noticed that on the right-hand column I keep a running tally of my word count for various projects. Things have been changing over there because I finally got my Tangier novel, The Last Hotel Room, to beta readers and started on Book Four of my Toxic World post-apocalyptic series, Emergency Transmission.
It's always fun to get back to the folks in New City and the Burbs as they desperately try to keep the last remnant of civilization alive. As usual with this series, the action shifts between three characters. Song Yu-Jin is back after being introduced in Book Three; Roy Jones, the owner of everyone's favorite bar, finally becomes a major character; and a certain gentleman from the Righteous Horde also makes an appearance. You didn't those crazies were gone, did you?
People might be wondering about that other book, The Saga of Egil Thorfinnsson and the Weaklings. The more observant among you will have noticed that the word count never seems to go up. Yeah, this was a project I started a couple of years ago and it stalled. I'll get it done this year. I promise. Really. It's a historical fantasy set in Norse Greenland. The Norse called the Inuit skraeling, which means "weakling". Not very nice, especially considering who survived and who didn't! It's going to be a fun novella with a really nasty critter straight out of Inuit mythology. Stay tuned.
The meter I use comes from the NaNo page and is a good way to keep tabs on my various books. The final word counts are estimates, of course, but I'm almost always within five percent.
Back to writing!

No comments:

Looking for more from Sean McLachlan? He also hangs out on the Civil War Horror blog, where he focuses on Civil War and Wild West history.

You can also find him on his Twitter feed and Facebook page.