Friday 26 June 2009

I got a short story accepted!

The new horror publisher Damnation Books has accepted one of my short stories for publication. It's a story set during the Dano-Prussian War of 1864 (coincidentally the same year my horror novel is set in) and is titled "Dannevirke" after the old Viking ramparts the Danes tried to defend against the invading Prussians. I liked the idea of a 1,000 year-old fortification being used in a more modern battle, and that set my mind to thinking.

I'm very happy because this story only garnered three rejections before landing an acceptance. I've sent them another story, of course, but I won't hear back from them for a while.

What's interesting with Damnation Books is that while they only publish short stories in electronic format, they actually pay a semipro rate of three cents a word for them. I know of no other electronic publisher who does this. Even many print magazines pay less. This must be getting them an avalanche of submissions, which is good for them because they can pick the best (ahem). I'm not sure when my story will be published but I'll be sure to mention it here.

4 comments:

Minnette Meador said...

Congrats, Sean - They just simply recognize the very best, that's all. Let us know when it's coming out...:)

Donna Volkenannt said...

Hi Sean,
Congratulations!
That's wonderful news. Please send a link after it's published.
Donna

Perry P. Perkins said...

Sean, congrats!

I have a story coming out with DB as well! Which title will yours be in?

-Perry

Sean McLachlan said...

Hi Perry. It will be a stand alone short story, but hopefully there will be a DB anthology for those too.

Looking for more from Sean McLachlan? He also hangs out on the Civil War Horror blog, where he focuses on Civil War and Wild West history.

You can also find him on his Twitter feed and Facebook page.