Monday 6 July 2009

I write like Johnny Depp acts

. . .except I'm not nearly as rich or famous. But I'm not kidding. According to a recent article, Johnny Depp has admitted that he doesn't watch his movies once they're done. He says it makes him self-conscious and hurts his creativity.

I'm the same way with my books. Once it's published, I never look at it. It's done, there's nothing I can do to make it better, so I might as well move on with the next one. Occasionally I'll dip into one of my books if I need to look something up for a related book or article. Putting your own work in a bibliography is a cheap way to promote your work. Cheap in both meanings of the word. :-)

So I can understand why Depp never watches his films. It's important for performers (and writers are performers) not too get too hung up with how they look after the fact. Concentrate on your craft, and surrender the rest to the whims of public opinion. As the late, great Michael Jackson proved, you can't sway public opinion. Did anyone believe him when he tried to convince a documentary crew that he'd never had plastic surgery?

Now if I could only get a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. . .

Photo courtesy Edward Scissorhands via Wikimedia Commons.

No comments:

Looking for more from Sean McLachlan? He also hangs out on the Civil War Horror blog, where he focuses on Civil War and Wild West history.

You can also find him on his Twitter feed and Facebook page.