Tuesday 29 October 2013

Reading in preparation for National Novel Writing Month

National Novel Writing Month is starting this Friday, and I'm getting busy. Not only am I mapping out the plot, setting, and characters in my head, but I've been reading to get prepared.

My novel is called Radio Hope and is a post-apocalyptic tale set in the near future. No zombies, no mutants, just a shattered world where some people are trying to pick up the pieces and others are trying to grind those pieces into dust.

So what have I been reading to get psyched up for this writing marathon? I finally picked up Hugh Howey's Wool. Yes, I'm a bit behind the curve on this one but a great book remains a great book. And what a great book it is. Surreal yet believable, with well-rounded characters you can care about. I'll be writing a review on Goodreads and sharing it here. Suffice it to say, if you have any interest at all in science fiction, grab this book!

Now I'm reading Winesburg, Ohio by Sherwood Anderson. This collection of small-town stories, first published in 1919, at first seems like an odd book to pair up with Wool, but both are essentially tales of the interactions you find in small and isolated communities. Both are character-centered. My own novel is centered around New City, one of the few settlements left after the fall. The characters in New City are trying to survive in a harsh and pitiless world yet still manage to have all the little obsessions, rivalries, frustrations, and dreams you find in a small town.

What are you reading right now? I'm always looking for my next good read!

Image courtesy Wikimedia Commons.

3 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Everyone says Wool is great - it's on my long list of books to read.

D.G. Hudson said...

I'm reading 'The Greater Journey' by David McCullough (about all the important people who have lived and studied in Paris) It's great if you like history. There were many American artists and doctors who gravitated to France in the 1800s. For lighter fare, I'm reading some genre fare from a blogger, R. Yeomans, paranormal set in New Orleans.

'Wool' I've never read. Perhaps I should remedy that.

Rita A. said...

Those both sounds like good books. I'll have to keep my eyes open for them. I'm reading "Jim Courtright of Fort Worth" by Robert K. DeArment. I'm not doing NaNo but I am working on a historical book that "Long-Haired" Jim Courtright plays a minor part.

Looking for more from Sean McLachlan? He also hangs out on the Civil War Horror blog, where he focuses on Civil War and Wild West history.

You can also find him on his Twitter feed and Facebook page.