Tuesday 25 August 2015

Travel Tuesday: Protodynastic Egyptian Bracelet in the Petrie Museum


Can you tell I like the Petrie Museum? I blogged about this place for earlier posts on Midlist Writer about slings and other ancient Egyptian artifacts. I also did a post with lots of photos for Black Gate.

This is a bracelet from the Protodynatic Period, also called Naqada III, a time from c. 3200-3000 BC when states were beginning to form but the country had not yet been unified. The first hieroglyphs also date from this time, as do some rich cemeteries.

Someone should start making replicas of this bracelet, because my wife would love one. I think the original is out of my price range!

3 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That's amazing that a five thousand year old bracelet would survive.

Donna Volkenannt said...

Fascinating and so unique! I agree with your wife; it's a lovely bracelet. And I'm with you; the original is way out of my price range.

D.G. Hudson said...

That is a lovely bracelet, and the Egyptians liked semi-precious stones, judging from what I gleaned after visiting the Louvre's Egyptian section. Some of the jewellry I saw in the exhibits would be very adaptable to modern times.

I know another person who is fond of the Petrie Museum, Hilary of Positive thoughts. . .blog. It is on my list of places I would love to see.

Looking for more from Sean McLachlan? He also hangs out on the Civil War Horror blog, where he focuses on Civil War and Wild West history.

You can also find him on his Twitter feed and Facebook page.