Wednesday 17 December 2008

What Novel Should I Write Next (Part 2)

A couple of weeks ago, I posted the question of what novel I should start in the New Year. I also posted it on several of my online writing lists. Thanks to the many of you who responded. The answers were split about evenly between people who said I should do the Civil War sequel and those who said I should do the London/Oxford book. Oh well!

I'm leaning more towards the London/Oxford book since I'll be there starting in April, and I don't want to get really into the Civil War book and then have to set it aside. If I'm feeling really stuck at the beginning of the year with the London/Oxford book, I could always play hookey until April by working on two short stories and a novella I have outlined. One short is almost done, and the novella is about a fifth done. I guess I'll just have to wait and see how things strike me on January first. In the meantime, back to my nonfiction deadlines!

Another thing I'll be doing before I head to England is revise my Civil War novel. A rejection from an agent and a couple of good critiques have shown me where I need to firm up the characterization and flow. I already know what I want to do, and I just edited chapter one over the past two days. A book isn't finished until it's published!

No comments:

Looking for more from Sean McLachlan? He also hangs out on the Civil War Horror blog, where he focuses on Civil War and Wild West history.

You can also find him on his Twitter feed and Facebook page.