Friday 3 June 2011

Photo Friday: Dusty toys behind bars

I took these shots one afternoon in Madrid's famous Rastro market, a giant flea market held every Sunday. You can buy pretty much anything there, especially if it's old, banged up, and unknown to anyone under thirty. While most of the stuff is sold from stalls, there are some permanent antique/junk shops lining the streets. This one sold toys.

I couldn't stop taking photos of the shopfront. Something about these dusty, discarded playthings behind bars touched me. I wondered about the kids who played with them and where they are now. I wonder if they remember these toys and if any of them were their favorite, or simply failed Christmas gifts of long ago.

No comments:

Looking for more from Sean McLachlan? He also hangs out on the Civil War Horror blog, where he focuses on Civil War and Wild West history.

You can also find him on his Twitter feed and Facebook page.