Thursday 7 January 2016

Book Review: The Alleys of Marrakesh

The Alleys Of MarrakeshThe Alleys Of Marrakesh by Peter Mayne
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This is a short account of the author's stay in Marrakesh in the 1950s told with classic English wit and insight. The author lived in a working class neighborhood for a time to improve his Arabic, and his quick grasp of that language really brought depth to his narrative. Unlike many travelogues from the era that read like a camera panning across a scene, Mayne actually introduces us to three-dimensional people and lets them speak for themselves. Many of the stories are quite funny, and I really felt like I was getting to know some of Mayne's oddball neighbors and other people he came to know.
My only complaint was that I felt the book to be too short. I would have like to learn more about these people but unfortunately Mayne ran out of money and had to return home. The book cuts off abruptly, with some stories unfinished and a few missed good-byes. Sounds like the end of any trip!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Looking for more from Sean McLachlan? He also hangs out on the Civil War Horror blog, where he focuses on Civil War and Wild West history.

You can also find him on his Twitter feed and Facebook page.