Thursday 22 April 2010

The art of drastic editing

I submitted a piece to an anthology today that I wrote almost ten years ago. It was about my time as a Reuters reporter at Kumbh Mela, a massive Hindu pilgrimage that attracted 70 million people. I wrote a book proposal about that experience that was my first real introduction to the trials an unknown writer. Everyone said it was beautifully written--from my writers group to my agent to the thirty publishers that rejected it. It remains unpublished to this day.

The chapter I chose to submit fit the subject of the anthology perfectly. There was only one problem--my chapter was 9,000 words and the maximum length for submissions was 3,000.

Time to cut.

I'm used to cutting, because I tend to overwrite in early drafts. The problem was, this wasn't an early draft, and I had to cut by two-thirds. The first thing I did was delete any scene that didn't directly relate to the subject of the anthology. That got me down to 6,000 words. Then I cut out some of the more florid description, made many word pairs into contractions, deleted any details that didn't move forward the core point, and got down to 3,600 words.

I was almost there, except that all this hacking and slashing had left the scenes without context. I needed to explain what Kumbh Mela was and who sadhus (Hindu holy men) were. The bridging paragraphs didn't take up too much space but I was still left with almost 25% of the text needing to be cut, and it was all "deathless prose" I wanted to leave intact.

Too bad. No prose is deathless. I began to get ruthless. not every beautiful description could remain. Not every insight into Indian culture needed to be communicated. Out went sentences and entire paragraphs, and early this morning I got it to within the limit. So I sent it off, all 2,994 words of it!

Just goes to show that your prose, no matter how precious, can always be changed.

Machete photo courtesy Wikimedia Commons.

No comments:

Looking for more from Sean McLachlan? He also hangs out on the Civil War Horror blog, where he focuses on Civil War and Wild West history.

You can also find him on his Twitter feed and Facebook page.