Thursday 10 April 2008

The Perfect Quote for My Next Book

Now that my book proposal on General Price's 1864 campaign is making the rounds with agents, I'm working on yet another Civil War book proposal. This one is on the First Kansas Colored Volunteers, the first black regiment in American history to see combat. They fought in Missouri, Arkansas, Kansas, and the Indian Territory against bushwhackers, Confederate Indians, and the Confederate army.

Today I found the perfect quote to put at the front of the book. William Faulkner once wrote "The past is never dead, it is not even past."

The war on the frontier was vicious, with scalped prisoners, burnt towns, and a starving populace, but the First Kansas Colored Volunteers bore the added burden of unequal pay, public hostility, and assumptions they were incompetent and lazy. Repeated victories on the battlefield reduced these prejudices but never abolished them.

I don't think I'll find a more appropriate quote.

No comments:

Looking for more from Sean McLachlan? He also hangs out on the Civil War Horror blog, where he focuses on Civil War and Wild West history.

You can also find him on his Twitter feed and Facebook page.