Friday 16 January 2015

Military History Photo Friday: Spanish Artillery Uniform for Morocco Service

I'm recently back from one of my regular trips to Morocco, where I saw old friends, made some new ones, and got some writing done. I managed not to take any photographs when I was there, otherwise I'd share them with you.

Luckily, there's an exhibition here in Madrid about the history of artillery in Spain. One of the pieces was this Spanish artilleryman's uniform from the 1910s. Part of Morocco was a Spanish colony at the time and men posted there wore special uniforms more adapted to the climate. You can compare it with a contemporary standard uniform to the right.

The material is lighter and seems to be local cloth. It looks like the cloth still used in some Moroccan djelabas today. It's light and breathes well, and also gets nice and warm if you layer it. Morocco is a cold country with a hot sun, as the local saying goes, so you have to dress properly!

No comments:

Looking for more from Sean McLachlan? He also hangs out on the Civil War Horror blog, where he focuses on Civil War and Wild West history.

You can also find him on his Twitter feed and Facebook page.