Friday 18 January 2013

Book Review: Planet Big Zero

Planet Big ZeroPlanet Big Zero by Franklin Hadley
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I bought this book because it was on the used bargain rack for 25 cents and it had a cool cover. So cool, in fact, that when my seven-year-old was rummaging through my stack of old pulps he picked this one out for me to read!

Sadly, the book doesn't match up to the cover. Back in the 1960s publishers would slap a picture of a rocket onto any old piece of trash and sell it as science fiction. This book has a hackneyed plot, cardboard characters, and inaccurate science. Why, for example, when a spaceship accelerates do the occupants fly FORWARD?

There were a few cool ideas in this book, like the evil aliens hiding out inside a nebula and that the Earthmen vs. Aliens theme is given a new twist by having each side include some loyal members of the other race. So I'm giving this two stars and facing it out on my kid's bookshelf.

I'll make sure he reads better science fiction than this, however!
View all my reviews

No comments:

Looking for more from Sean McLachlan? He also hangs out on the Civil War Horror blog, where he focuses on Civil War and Wild West history.

You can also find him on his Twitter feed and Facebook page.